Saturday, August 06, 2011

Psalms

I am beginning a study through the book of Psalms which may take many years of my life, who knows? And, I am really excited! I am going to use commentaries by J.A. Motyer, C.H. Spurgeon, Stanley L. Jaki, and who knows what else I may find on my husband's book shelves :) I am so blessed to have all of these resources at my fingertips; one of the many privileges of being married to a pastor.

One quote I have to share is from J.A. Motyer, "It is striking that the very first word of the entire book of Psalms should be this one (Blessed). Surely it is far more important (this is the second question) that we should be righteous, or obedient, or loving, than that we should be merely happy? Yes, in the short term; but from his original creating of his people right through to his final redeeming of them, Scripture is clear that God's long-term purpose for them is that they should be blessed. The psalmists celebrate every foretaste of that heavenly promise." pg.20

Incredible notes from the MacArthur Study Bible: "The basic theme of Psalms is living real life in the real world, where two dimensions operate simultaneously 1) a horizontal or temporary reality, 2) vertical transcendent reality. Without denying the pain of the earthly dimension, the people of God are to live joyfully and dependently on the person and promises standing behind the heavenly/eternal dimension. Life often seems out of control, and yet, all events and situations are understood in the light of divine providence as being right on course according to God's timetable."

"Assuring glimpses of a future "God's day" bolsters the call for perseverance to the end. This book of praise manifests very practical theology." -John MacArthur

One of the life long files I shall add to until the Lord calls me home is on the subject of Joy. I pray that every Christian will know the joy of their salvation, that they will rejoice always, that they will joyfully adore their Savior who bought them and that they know the joy of His presence. May our hearts be fixed on heaven as we walk on the narrow road to glory.

"You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand are pleasures forever." Psalm 16:11

No comments: